Deborah Boardman HG.Dip.P, Dip.Couns, G.Q.H.P, M.H.G.I
As a former NHS professional having worked for 30 years as a nurse, firstly as a general nurse and then predominantly as a mental health nurse, I have always been aware of, and interested in, the relationship between emotional and physical well-being. It is now widely acknowledged that the state of our mind and emotions impacts on our physical state, with our bodies often expressing emotional distress as some form of ill health or disease. It is not uncommon either for unwanted behaviours like smoking, drinking or eating to excess, or other forms of compulsive and addictive behaviours to become problematic when emotional issues are not addressed effectively.
I have a genuine interest in what makes human beings 'tick', so to speak, and have undertaken life-long learning in relation to this. I believe that this has enabled me to offer an evidence based, highly effective holistic way of working with individuals experiencing difficulties with a wide range of issues. I have a robust underpinning philosophy which draws on the latest neuro-psycho-biological knowledge we possess; adopting a holistic approach that takes into account the links between emotional and physical well-being and our environment, drawing on our understanding of 'emotional intelligence' and 'mindfulness' principles.
During my career, I have worked in a variety of specialist areas enabling me to gain an extensive range of experience and skills:
- All common mental health problems; including anxiety/stress issues, depression and low mood, loss, grief and adjustment issues.
- Unwanted and unhelpful behaviour, including anger management issues, compulsive and/or addictive behaviour, including alcohol misuse.
- Issues/difficulties with low self esteem, low confidence and decision making/problem solving.
- Complex or multi-layered issues including trauma, phobias and fear-based experiences.
I am able to offer psychological therapy to clients aged 18 and over - (no upper age limit) who wish to make changes and are ready to work with me to help them to achieve this.
I do not believe that 'one size fits all'; I think it is important to offer a flexible integrative approach that adapts to the need of the individual.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered General Nurse RGN
- Registered Mental Nurse RMN
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling Dip. Couns
- Human Givens Practitioner HG.Dip.P MHGI 2007 - recognised by General Hypnotherapy Register GHR
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy CBT Cert
- Diploma in Integrative Hypnotherapy in Health and Holistic Care. GQHP
- Emotional Freedom Technique Practitioner AAMET Level II
Extensive experience as a mental health practitioner - worked in NHS for over 25 years in variety of settings in mental health and as an alcohol nurse practitioner.
Committed to ongoing Continuous Professional Development and Life-Long Learning.
Qualified Mental Health Nurse holding additional qualifications in Person Centred Counselling, Human Givens Approach, CBT, Integrative Hypnotherapy and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). Able to offer different modalities, however, underpinning therapy and philosophy is Human Givens Approach - recognised by GHR - practiced hypnotherapeutic interventions since 2006 in clinical practice. www.hgi.org.uk
Outcome measures undertaken have demonstrated effective interventions offered and notable improvement experienced by clients worked with.
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Addictions *
- Alcohol abuse *
- Anger management
- Anxiety *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome *
- Depression *
- Drug abuse *
- Eating disorders *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Food addiction *
- Gambling addiction *
- Insomnia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Male sexual problems *
- Obsessions and compulsions *
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Post-traumatic stress disorder *
- Public speaking
- Quit smoking
- Relationship issues
- Sex addiction *
- Sleep disorders *
- Sports performance
- Stress *
- Stuttering *
- Tinnitus *
- Weight loss
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Problems with motivation regarding making changes. Difficulty or inability to break unwanted habitual behaviour.
£70 per session - up to 90 minutes duration.
Practice settings are in pleasant and comfortable private therapy rooms with disabled access. Audenshaw base is situated opposite tram stop and is close to M60 junction 23.
Free parking and street parking is available close by.
Street parking is available at Oldham venue to the side and back of the building.
Street parking and car park at reasonable rates close by to Ashton Under Lyne venue.
Home visits would be considered if required within approx 20 mile distance of Oldham, Lancashire.
Please note I also practice from - Seraphina Holistic and wellbeing centre 117 - 119 Stamford Street Central, Ashton Under Lyne, OL6 6XJ
email me: Click here
I am registered with Human Givens Institute MHGI - 108960 (www.hgi.org.uk) and General Hypnotherapy Register - 6379 (www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com)
I possess current Enhanced Certificate - Disclosure and Barring Service. (formerly CRB)
If you would like to enquire further, make an appointment or discuss what you hope to get out of therapy, please ring or email me - I look forward to hearing from you.
- Also registered with Counselling Directory
Type of session
Self Employed - appointments Monday to Saturday, some evening appointments may be available. Home visits can be discussed if required.