Time to get rid of that flying phobia?
Usually referred to as pteromerhanophobia or aviophobia, the fear of flying often restricts many people to only localities where they can access via road. Many people get pre-flight anxieties, during flight anxieties and post flight anxieties and most of the time, and this makes so many people very sceptical about getting on planes.
In this article, you will learn some active tips on getting over your fear of flying and commencing on that dream trip around the world.
- Actively decide to get on a plane. The moment you make an active decision to overcome your fear of flying and get on a plane, you'll automatically set off a chain reaction in your mind that stimulates a basis for mental re-education with respect to your fear.
- Learning about how a plane works and the conditions that come into play before, during and after flight, turbulence and other flight related happenstances goes a long way in preparing your mind for the flight beforehand.
- Communication with fellow fliers will go a long way in helping you through a flight. So, once you get on board, establish communication with the person seated beside you and, where necessary, talk to them about your fear of flying and intimate them on ways in which they can help you get over your anxiety attacks if the need arises.
- There is a general feeling of uncertainty that comes from not being able to see the controls. So, if you get on a plane early enough, walk up to the cockpit (if they allow you) and get in touch with the pilots. That way, you can build trust and confidence in the system and have a glimpse of those in charge of your flight's safety.
- Consciously establish a dichotomy between danger and fear. Due to your fear of flying, you're likely going to feel threatened by every bump or beep. Learning about what happens during flight and what each sounds mean will go a long way in helping you establish a difference between real danger and plain old fear.
- Creating a distraction helps you take your mind of your fear. If you focus too much on arriving safely or on the possibility of a crash, you're going to have an anxiety attack. To avoid this, engage yourself in things that would take your mind off the plane; have a conversation with your neighbour, watch a movie or listen to your favourite songs. Don't allow the to fear occupy your mind.
- Go for therapy. Hypnosis is very effective in getting rid of your flying phobia by changing negative associations to positive ones in your mind and establishing new positive anchors that can eliminate the anxiety or fear of flying.
Some flight phobia therapists use virtual reality simulations to help you get out of your fright. So, go for therapy. Get help from professionals.
Find a hypnotherapist dealing with Fear of flying
All therapists are verified professionals.