Mental Health First Aid England – 2 day course
Date & Time:18th - 19th October 2018, 9.15am - 4.30pm
Cost:Discounted rate for members of the GHR, NCH & BIH: £300 (Standard Price £340)
Sutton in Ashfield
- Find an event in your area
Learn how to recognise the signs of mental health distress and offer practical help and support to your clients, friends and family on this valuable and internationally recognised course.
There is widespread misunderstanding of mental ill health in the general population and there is the associated stigma too. For some, the stigma can lead to delays in people seeking help and support.
This mental health first aid two-day course teaches delegates how to identify, understand and help a person who may be developing a mental health problem. In the same way, as we learn physical first aid, mental health first aid enables you to recognise those crucial warning signs of mental ill health. In any one year, approximately 1 in 4 British adults experience at least one diagnosable mental health problem. Mental ill health can affect every single one of us.
There is also a lack of confidence in what to do if someone is distressed or in a crisis situation. As a hypnotherapist, by learning to recognize the signs that someone may be experiencing mental health distress, you will have more confidence and skills in being able to guide a person towards appropriate professional help, and in its most powerful form, save a life by learning basic suicide intervention skills.
On the course you will learn:
- What is mental health?
- Why mental health first aid?
- The Five steps of Mental Health First Aid
- Impact and cost of Mental Health
- Influences on Mental Health
- Risk and protective factors
- What is depression?
- Alcohol, drugs and depression
- Suicide in England
- How to help someone who is suicidal
- Listening non-judgementally
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is anxiety?
- When is anxiety a problem?
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid for panic attacks
- Crisis first aid for acute stress reaction
- Some common thinking distortions
- Treatment and resources for anxiety
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Understanding psychosis
- Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- Recovery from psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Action planning for using MHFA
About the host
Val Goff qualified as a mental health first aid instructor in 2008 being one of the first instructors to deliver MHFA in England. Val’s background is in bereavement support and working in the drug/alcohol field for 16 years. She also has independent private practice specialising in helping people with mental health and addiction problems.
I have benefited greatly from my experience of CBT and hypnotherapy. It has helped me deal with long standing...
I was really scared to go see a hypnotherapist. I thought I'd be brainwashed and was worried I'd be unconscious...
I had hypnotherapy to quit smoking - it was the best thing I could have done! I think it helped that I had come to...