Karen Hodgson MA(ED); UKCP; MBACP; CNHC; PGHP; EMDR; DIP COUNS; RELATE TRAINED;
0759 5509 053
Welcome! I am a qualified and experienced Counselling Psychotherapist (1999) & Hypno/Psychotherapist regulated by the United Kingdom Council for Psychotheraphy (UKCP) & Complimentary Natural Healthcare Council (CNHP) (2004).
I offer a warm, relaxed, welcoming confidential space to help you explore and work through your main presenting issues. Whilst adopting an integrative approach to my work, I use hypnosis as a distinct therapy as well as an adjunct with other psychotherapeutic techniques to meet your unique treatment needs.
I have undergone a wide range of training to work with your unique treatment needs and can therefore offer an integraive approach. I am a qualified Hypno /Pyschotheraplist to Masters Degree, (2004 & 2008); Eye Movement Desentisiation and Reprocessing (EMDR, Accredited, 2012); Person Centred Counselling, (Awarded in 1999); Relate Couple and Relationship Counselling (Certified in 2003); Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) (2011); Psychosexual Therapy, (2003,2004).
When I begin my training?
I originally began my training in counselling psychotherapy as a person-centred counsellor back in 1997 and qualified in 1999 before beginning my training in hypnosis in 2003
I have been working in private practice since 2000.
Some of the main issues I deal with:-
- Stress Management
- Fear of flying
- Anger issues
- Quit or reduce smoking
- Weight loss/weight managemen
- Relationship issues
- Anxiety and Panic attack
- Habits e.g. nail biting
- Phobias eg fear of spiders or wasps
- Bereavement, grief and loss
- Depressive Symptoms
- Physical Health and Pain Management including easybirthing
- Self Confidence & Self Esteem
- Psychosexual issues
Although I have worked voluntarily in private practice in 2000, I also have experience working in other settings including a:-
- Well Women's Centre
- Male Prison
- Bereavement Centre (CRUSE),
- Student Services
I work in private practice and for Employment Assistance Programmes & Insurance Agencies.
What is Hypno/Psychotherapy?
There is a difference between a Hypnotherapist and a Hypno-Psychotherapist. A Hypno-Psychotherapist, (as recognised by the UK Council For Psychotherapy (UKCP) ), is a therapist who has undertaken a minimum of 4 years training reaching Masters Degree level, which includes up to a minimum of 1800 hours training over four years.
Hypno-Psychotherapy in its purist terms, may still be brief therapy, yet depending upon your presenting issues, employs both hypnotic and psycho-therapeutic interventions to assist you in reaching your desired goals. This may mean at times that a brief therapy model is not always appropriate to helping you to fully resolve your issues.
As such, Hypno-Psychotherapy is a form of psychotherapy which uses hypnosis as an aid. It can be used to help psychological problems and conditions where bodily responses are closely linked to emotional states and to modify behaviour, attitudes or emotions, These conditions may include eating disorders, sex addiction, stress, anxiety or irritable bowel pain among others.
How does hypnosis work?
Hypnosis is a psychological altered mental state resembling sleep. A person under hypnosis is considered to have heightened focus and concentration with the ability to concentrate intensely on a specific thought or memory whilst blocking of sources of distraction. During this state, positive suggestions for change can given to the subconscious mind to calm the mind, modify habits, to lessen anxiety, stress, physical pain or reduce high blood pressure. This is known as hypnotic induction. The use of hypnosis for therapeutic intervention is known as Hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy can be used to help a variety of issues and conditions for example, reduce stress, performance anxiety, to overcome exam fears, help pass your driving test and manage pain..
It can help you to overcome other dysfunctional habits, such as nail-biting, or distorted thought processes, including angry outbursts, road rage, or anger that is out of control and may be causing you to experience problems in your relationships with other people.
Does hypno/psychotherapy work?
Although no therapist can ethically guarantee the successful outcome of any therapeutic approach, hypno/psychotherapy can and does work for many people. With your determination to change, there is no reason why is will not work well work for you too. Please feel free to check the NHS website to view their comments regarding the success of Hypnotherapy. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/hypnotherapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Why use an Hypno/Psychotherapist rather than a Hypnotherapist
The advantage of working with a qualified Hypno/Psychotherapist is that it combines the training of a Psychotherapist who has additional training in hypnosis. A Psychotherapist facilitates the focus and engagement of your conscious mind on the problem to help bring greater self awareness and understanding of your condition. A Psychotherapist is trained in helping you explore more deeply your presenting issue to deal with troublesome habits along with a wide range of mental health disorders.
Hypnosis helps to engage the subconscious mind that harbors information. Psycho therapeutic intervention facilitates not only the development of your inner resources to help you become more self aware and to alter unwanted habits, or unbalanced attitudes and beliefs about yourself and the world we live in, it also helps you to explore your thoughts, feelings, mood and behaviours.
With this understanding in place, hypnosis is a psychotherapeutic tool which allows you to to bypass your conscious defense system, by making suggestions to help you overcome unwanted habits or attitudes have usually become deeply embedded in your mind at an subconscious level. Everything that has ever happened to you that you remember using your five senses has been recorded and stored in your subconscious. Making appropriate suggestions to the sub-conscious mind is seen as helping you to improve mental health and well-being through the process of hypnosis.
What happens in hypnosis?
Contrary to popular belief, hypnosis is not a state of deep sleep. Instead, it induces an altered or natural state of relaxation, one by which you are still in control at all times.
It is considered that hypnosis works by switching off the analytical left hand side of the brain, so that the non-analytical right hand side of the brain can become more alert. Whilst your mind is in an enhanced state of awareness, you will be concentrating entirely on the therapist's voice. In this state, the conscious mind is suppressed and the subconscious mind in revealed. When the mind is relaxed, this allows ideas, concepts, lifestyle adaptions and active thoughts or post hypnotic suggestions to be placed in your mind, i.e. the seeds towards positive change. These suggestions are specific to your needs and serve to help you to achieve the unique goals you formulated during the early stages of the therapy, and therefore create your desired change.
(1) Hypnosis: This treatment used in hypnotherapy for a range of emotional and nervous disorders. Hypnosis creates a deeply relaxed state in which mental stress and bodily tensions are reduced. In this relaxed state, the mind is usually more open to the process of change. The client and therapist can work safely together, using an agreed approach, to enhance mental, physical and emotional well being
(2) Psychotherapy: This is the application of psychological knowledge to treat individuals who are suffering from disorders of a psychological origin.
What else I am trained to offer you?
I offer a range of psycho-therapeutic interventions besides hypnosis and have a very well established background in psycho-therapeutic counselling, including Couple & Relationship Counselling, (I am RELATE trained); and Psycho-Sexual Counselling.
I am also a trained EMDR Accredited Therapist, (UK & Ireland, 2012). I deal with a range of issues including:- trauma; stress; anxiety; anger management; pain management & preparation for labour; low mood & depression; low self-esteem/confidence; loss of direction, including career direction/life transitions; bereavement & grief and loss.
My work around trauma includes:- rape, road traffic accidents & accidents in the workplace; victims of crime and child sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, death of a child, phobias, social anxiety, addictions/compulsions, pornography mis-use, nail-biting, weight loss, fear of wasps/spiders,snakes and others phobias, smoking cessation and IBS.
What is EMDR?
EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing. It is a psycho/therapeutic procedure that originated during the '80's in the United States. It was originally designed to treat traumatic or dysfunctional memories and experiences, and their psychological consequences, but now is also used for a variety of symptoms including bullying, harassment, accidents, victimisations, grief, anxiety, panic disorders, pain, sexual dysfunction and a wide range of experientially based disorders. It is a recommended treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, (PTSD), by The National Institute of Clinical Excellence, (NICE).
EMDR may be used as a stand alone treatment by itself, and/or or as an adjunctive therapy alongside "talking therapy" and/or hypnosis.
One unusual element in EMDR is bilateral stimulation, usually in the form of eye movements, or bilateral auditory or tactile stimulation. There is a great deal of evidence that bilateral stimulation speeds up the reprocessing of disturbing emotional or traumatic material, and at the same time helps you to feel safer in making contact with traumatic material. A number of replicated research trials have demonstrated that eye movements reduce the vividness of emotional and traumatic imagery. It is believed that the eye movements induced in EMDR, mirror the natural eye movement process that occurs in the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of sleep, during which information is processed naturally.
An EMDR therapist will always firstly carry out a careful psychological assessment of whether EMDR would be suitable for your presenting problem(s), and will elicit a memory representing the problem. You will be asked for a picture that represents the memory, a negative belief that you have about yourself in relation to the memory, and to notice associated physical sensations. Thereafter, a number of sets of eye movements or other bilateral stimulation are commenced, and after each set of eye movements the therapist will ask you what you have noticed. Typically, the images, emotions, and sensations experienced change through this process. At some point these changes become more positive and adaptive as you reprocess old dysfunctional information and connect with presently held adaptive and functional information. The aim is always to enable you to recollect the original traumatic material without disturbance, and to have new and more adaptive beliefs about themselves in relation to the experience.
With "simple" or "one off" traumas or experiences in adult life, EMDR can be remarkably rapid in its effects, and average treatment times for these kinds of problems are from 3 to 5 sessions. With more "complex" or multiple traumas, treatment can take much longer.
Many insurance providers that cover standard counselling & psychotherapy, also cover EMDR services. Please contact your insurance carrier for further information.
For further information check out http://www.emdrassociation.org.uk/home/about_EMDR_therapy.htm
What is an Initial Consultation and how do I book one?
When you attend the very first time, this is known as the 'Initial Consultation.' The Initial Consultation is not the first therapy session and I do NOT offer hypnosis in a first session. It is however a chargeable session. All my initial consultations cost £60.00 for a one hour session.
An Initial Consultation can increase the chances of a successful outcome by identifying specific, measurable, achievable realistic goals within a given time-frame. During the session we will explore the history behind your presenting issues. For hypnosis, this also serves to formulate a unique approach to my work with you.For example, we will explore you behaviours, motivations, resources and the benefits of the changes you desire, e.g. to commit smoking. This information will be used to compose your unique script.
A formal contract will be discussed with you during the initial consultation, including information on confidentiality and cancellation policy.
If you would like to book an initial consultation, please feel free to call me or just email me giving me details of times/dates when you are free and I will try to accommodate those as best I can.
How long will the therapy last?
All therapy sessions lasts for 60 minutes, including the initial consultation with the exception of smoking cessation, which after the initial consultation, has one further session lasting for 90 mins.
What happens in the therapy room?.
Each therapy session provides you with an opportunity to talk about your issues and discuss your progress. The aim is to provide you with a comfortable, safe, contained and confidential environment where you feel relaxed and able to discuss any issues that concern you.
I deal with a range of issues including weight management, anxiety, exam fears, nail-biting, career confidence building, raising low self esteem, stress reduction, overcoming depression, managing pain, relationship and sexual issues, fears/ phobias, panic attacks, abuse: physical, emotional and mental and smoking cessation.
Want to give up smoking?
Are you truly ready to give up smoking cigarettes either for personal or health reasons?
If the answer is yes, after the initial consultation lasting 60 mintues with a cost of £60.00, I offer a one off 90 minute session at a cost of £150.00.
Why have an initial consultation?
I believe that in order to replace the beliefs you hold about smoking and the triggers that cause you to smoke, it is imperative to have an initial consultation prior to the hypnosis session. The intial consultatoin allows me to collect information about you so that I can reflect this in the unique script that I compile for you prior to commencing smoking cessation hypnosis. It also allows you the opportunity to reflect upon some vital things you need to consider and reflect upon before the hypnosis session commences.
My Code of Ethics
Hypno/Psychotherapists must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and Practice.
I am a member of the:-
- Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC)
- National Register of Hypnotherapists & Psychotherapists (NRHP)
- Fellow of the National Council for Hypno/Psychotherapists, (NCHP, 2004); (FNCHP, 2011)
- National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (NCHP)
- MBACP member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Registered member of the United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapy (UKCP) (Hyp)
How is my work supervised?
As part of working ethically within the Code of Ethics I adhere to, I have regular ongoing supervision with three separate supervisors:- (a trained Hypno/Psychotherapist, a NHS Clinical Psychotherapist/Sex Therapist and an EMDR Consultant/Clinical Psychologist
What led in to train as a Hypno/Psychotherapist?
During the late 1980's to mid 1990's I was employed as a p/t Lecturer in several Further & Higher Education teaching establishments where I taught Business & Management Studies, Leisure & Tourism & Sports Management. From this I developed an interest in working with some of the emotional needs of students. I think this is where the seed for entering into the psychotherapy and counselling arena first originated. I also believe that therapeutic counselling can be a psycho-educative process.
After qualifying as a person-centred counsellor(1999), I developed further interest in how client's presenting issue(s) can create ripple effects on other family members, including our partners. This created a further interest in my desire to train as a couple's therapist with Relate during 1999-2004.
My background in psycho-dynamic theory whilst working at Relate informed me of the importance of the subconscious and its interplay with our behaviours and habits which encouraged me to train as a hypno/psychotherapist
Further, the ways in which our psychological DNA can be negatively impacted by life events created an interest in my more recent training in a psycho-therapeutic technique known as Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). .
What is my personal philosophy?
Warmth, respect, compassion, patience, empathy and appropriate challenge to aid personal awareness are running themes throughout my work. I encourage you to determine the direction of therapy, putting you at the centre of therapeutic encounter.
People generally seek out hypnosis and psychotherapy with a need to alleviate some current, on-going stressor, change behaviour and/or to address the root of a problem. The therapy will essentially assess where you are now in relation to what you want to achieve, formulate specific and realistic goals, and facilitate the process of you achieving these goals, finding a more satisfying pathway. The aim is to to put you (the client) in touch with yourself so that you can make the necessary changes towards realising your own power and potential. Therefore the therapist is responsible to and not for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Trained: Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR, 2010, 2011)
- Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) by NCHP (2009)
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004). (Prerequisite for the Phd in Education)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Certificate in Education, (F.E) Awarded by the Victoria & Salford University (1988)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, Lancashire Polytechnic, (1990)
- HNC Business & Management Studies (Bolton Institute of Higher Education)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
- Effective Anger Management, (2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging Prejudice, (2009)
- Nurturing Young People's Mental Health through the Counselling Relationship, (2009)
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People's Resilience, (2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (2009)
- Trained EMDR Practitioner, (2010, 2011)
- Working with Dissociation (2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm (2011)
- EMDR Workshop & Conference (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) (Levels one & two (2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment (2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociate Identity Disorder (2011)
- Hypnosis for Fertility easybrthing (2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- Encounter group (to aid personal awareness) (2012)
- EMDR for veterans (2013)
- Encounter Group (to aid personal awareness) (2013)
- Introduction to Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (2014)
- Sex Addiction (2014)
- Sex Offending (2014)
- Encounter group (to aid personal awareness) (2014)
- Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (2014)
- Kendal Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours (2014)
- Sex Offending - Sex addiction Pips North West 12 hours (2014)
- Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory Webinar nscience (2015)
- Assessment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from an attachment Perspective. nscience 12 hours. (2015)
- EMDR & Psychosis Conference. Lancashire Care Foundation Trust. 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR for Perinatal Trauma, OCD and Morbid Jealousy Workshop. Near West EMDR Regional Group UK. 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR Conference York 6 hours (2015)
- EMDR Uk & Ireland Consultancy Training 27 hours (London 2016)
- EMDR Conference Newcastle 6 hours (2016)
- nScience PSTD Therapeutic Options & Considerations 7 hours (2016)
- EMDR and Depression 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
- EMDR for people with Aspergers 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
- EMDR Workshop Blind to Therapist Protocol 6 hours (Birmingham, 2017)
Accredited register membership
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Alcohol abuse *
- Anger management
- Anxiety *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome *
- Depression *
- Eating disorders *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Food addiction *
- Gambling addiction *
- Insomnia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessions and compulsions *
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Post-traumatic stress disorder *
- Public speaking
- Quit smoking
- Relationship issues
- Sex addiction *
- Sexual issues *
- Sleep disorders *
- Sports performance
- Stress *
- Stuttering *
- Tinnitus *
- Weight loss
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Dental Anxiety
- Fear of driving
- Fear of driving on motorways
- Fear of bridges
- General Counselling
- EMDR as an adjunct with hypnosis, or as a stand alone therapy.
Photos & videos
- All sessions start with an Initial Consultation. The cost of all initial consultations for individuals is £80 for a 60 minute session. This is a history taking session which provides an opportunity to generate some understanding and explore further your presenting issue(s).
- The working contract for single issues e.g. Nail-biting, IBS etc. is likely to be up to six sessions, with regular progress reviews in-between, and longer for more complex issues or multiple issues.
- After the initial consultation, all subsequent sessions of Hypno/Psychotherapy are £60.00 (50 mins.).
- Smoking Cessation (after the initial consultation costing £60.00), this incurs a one off cost of £150 (75 mins)
- Hypno/Psychotherapy £80
- EMDR £80 (60 mins)
- Couple Counselling £80 (60 mins)
CANCELLATION & CONFIDENTIALITY POLICY
Although I do understand that cancellations are inevitable at times, I do ask that you attend your booked session(s). If you do need to cancel and rebook a session, I charge the full cost of a session for all cancellations made with less than 48 hours notice between mon-fri 9 am to 5 pm even if they are rebooked. In these circumstances I will normally forward a paypal request for you to pay for the session prior to your next appointment.
I adhere to a strict code of ethics. The information you provide during the session(s) will remain confidential, unless in certain rare circumstances where there is concern for your safety or that of others.
More details regarding exemptions to confidentiality will be provided during the Initial Consultation.
PAYMENTS CAN BE MADE VIA:--
I do not have facilitiy for card payments.
- Also registered with Counselling Directory
CHORLEY: Tues-Thurs 9 a.m. to 7 pm Morland, Penrith, Monday mornings/early afternoons. Please state if you preference is in Penrith.