Camberley, Surrey (PRWEB) July 31, 2012
It’s old news that women are generally paid less than men, with the most recent research revealing that equal pay for women is not likely till 2067*. However, whilst the reason for the disparity is still largely put down to gender gaps and inequality in previous eras – research is emerging to suggest that career choices, low self-confidence and low-self-esteem in women, could also all be playing a starring role.
A recent survey carried out by Oxford University** revealed that whilst the academic ability of both sexes is relatively equal, upon leaving university many women opt to steer clear of sectors such as banking and law for fear they will not be as successful as their male counterparts.
Instead, women tend to gravitate towards job roles that are considered to be traditionally more female friendly, for instance teaching, publishing and marketing.
Similar attitudes were reflected in a survey carried out by the Hypnotherapy Directory; in which respondents were asked what sex they felt was more likely to succeed. 52% said they felt that both sexes are equally as likely to succeed in business, whilst the other 48% said they felt that males would be more successful. Worryingly, not one respondent believed that a female could be more successful than a male.
So could it be that one of the key things holding women back is in fact themselves?
According to Dr Sue Hewitt, head of learning and development at specialist training company The Springboard Consultancy, when a female student looks at a job advert with five required elements of which they can deliver three, they won’t apply. Men looking at the same advert on the other hand will tend to consider themselves as over-qualified and will blag the rest of it.
Selling yourself and blowing your own trumpet is a very difficult thing to do, especially considering the fact that it is often ingrained in us to downplay our success and achievements for fear of appearing boastful or arrogant if we share them.
In fact, 38% of survey respondents were of the opinion that sharing accomplishments would portray them in a negative light to their colleagues.
But why shouldn’t hard work and creativity be recognised and rewarded?
Women who have a high level of self-doubt may find that this limits them in their job role, and could prevent them from running with valuable opportunities that could lead to a step up. So what is the solution?
Women need to be able to realistically evaluate their professional potential, promote both themselves and their skillset, talk about themselves in a positive fashion and must take on challenges and negotiations with confidence. For those who feel that they will not be able to do this independently, the support of a professional hypnotherapist may be of help.
Hypnosis uses the power of suggestion to eliminate negative thoughts and behaviour patterns in a bid to bring about beneficial changes. A hypnotherapist will use a variety of techniques to access the subconscious mind, so that issues such as low self-confidence and low self-esteem can be addressed right at their very core.
With a wealth of information about various hypnotherapy areas – including low self-esteem, low self-confidence & public speaking – plus a countrywide directory of hypnotherapists, Hypnotherapy Directory could provide a solid starting point for women who are looking to build up their confidence and further their careers.
*Allen, K (2010) Equal pay for women not likely till 2067, says research. Available:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/aug/19/equal-pay-women-2057
**Goldwin, C (2012) I’m sorry girls, but being nice won’t get you that pay rise. Available:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2155554/Im-sorry-girls-nice-wont-pay-rise.html#ixzz1x68wdAxs
Hypnotherapy Directory survey results are taken from an online survey of 61 visitors to Life Coach Directory.