Carolyn Gillan HPD, DSFH, MNCH (Reg) MBACP (Accred)
Hi! I'm Carolyn Gillan, a qualified, clinical hypnotherapist and BACP accredited counsellor based in Plympton, Plymouth. I have been helping people for nearly a decade to get their lives back on track and feeling better about their futures.
I work with people suffering with anxiety, depression, lack of self-confidence, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), stress, trauma and a range of other problems, including stopping smoking, weight loss and phobias.
As a Solution Focused Hypnotherapist, I use a modern, practical form of hypnotherapy that combines psychotherapy, neuroscience and hypnosis. I am also a qualified counsellor, which means that you will benefit from my wider experience and understanding of different psychological therapies.
My aim is to help you gain perspective on what you really want from your life and help you find the confidence and solutions to achieve it.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as a solution focused hypnotherapist with the prestigious Clifton Hypnotherapy Practice Training Centre based at the award winning Observatory Practice in Plymouth. I hold the following hypnotherapy qualifications:
- Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma
- Diploma in Solution Focused Hypnotherapy
I am also a qualified counsellor and psychotherapist, having trained at the Iron Mill Institute in Exeter. I hold an Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling and am an Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
I have experience of working with people suffering from a range of problems, including:
- Confidence & low self esteem
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Pain management
- Panic attacks
- Phobias and fears
- Public speaking
- Sleep problems
- Sports performance
- Stress management
- Weight management
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Anxiety *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome *
- Depression *
- Eating disorders *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Insomnia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessions and compulsions *
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Post-traumatic stress disorder *
- Public speaking
- Relationship issues
- Sleep disorders *
- Sports performance
- Stress *
- Stuttering *
- Tinnitus *
- Weight loss
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Photos & videos
Initial Consultation: £55.00 (including FREE relaxation CD)
The initial consultation provides an opportunity to:
- discuss what you would like to achieve from hypnotherapy;
- give you an explanation of what is involved in the process;
- introduce you to the neuroscience around why we can suffer with problems such as anxiety or depression, for example, or why we can find it difficult to quit smoking or lose weight.
You will be given a relaxation CD to take away with you to listen to each night at bedtime. This is an important part of the process that will really help you the get the most out of your hypnotherapy sessions.
Subsequent Sessions: £55 an hour
Subsequent hypnotherapy sessions follow the same format each week. We begin by reviewing how you have been getting on; I will introduce neuroscience and psychological theories that may be relevant and helpful to you; and then I will help you to think about your goals and what you want to achieve for the week ahead. We will finish off the session with hypnosis, which most people find very relaxing, to consolidate the therapeutic work.
There is plenty of free on-road parking available outside my practice.
Travelling by Bus
The Target Travel Bus Service 19 runs hourly from Plymouth City Centre and stops just a few minutes walk away. The CityBus Services 21 and 22 to Plympton provides a more regular service and stops about 10 minutes walk away.
- Also registered with Counselling Directory
Type of session
I am available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 9.30am - 3.30pm