I am Dr Kumar Shanmugam and work as a Consultant Psychiatrist.
I have got over 12 years’ experience of working in the NHS as a Psychiatrist. This has given me a wide knowledge and understanding of issues related to stress and mental health. I am one the very few Psychiatrists practicing hypnotherapy in UK.
I hold medical degrees (MBBS, MRCPsych) and work as a Consultant Psychiatrist. I developed a keen interest in Hypnotherapy and earned my Practitioner Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy & NLP that is accredited by General Hypnotherapy Standard Council (GHSC) and National Hypnotherapy Society.
Why do I practice hypnotherapy being a psychiatrist?
- Because IT WORKS!
- Hypnotherapy does not come with side effects.
- It worked for me and so why not for YOU?
- Heard from a lot of people saying, “I wish I had hypnotherapy years ago”.
Difficulties I can help you with:
- Smoking cessation.
- Self-image & weight management/loss.
- Habits & addictions - drinking, drug abuse, nail biting, hair pulling, etc.
- Anxiety - public speaking, poor self-esteem & confidence, blushing etc.
- Phobias - dentists, vomiting, needles, dogs, flying, spiders, driving, etc.
- Sleep problems.
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
- Anger management.
- Chronic pain – post-surgical, arthritis, terminal illness etc.
Training, qualifications & experience
- General Qualification in Hypnotherapy Practice (GHQP)
- Practitioner Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy (DipHyp)
- Guild of NLP Endorsed Diploma in Neuro-Linguistic Programming (DNLP)
- Hypnotherapy Smoking Cessation Specialist Training Course
- Hypnotherapy Weight Management Specialist Training Course
- General Hypnotherapy Register Accredited Practitioner (GHReg)
- General Hypnotherapy Standards Council Accredited Practitioner (GHSC)
The General Hypnotherapy Register
Hypnotherapists may become members of the General Hypnotherapy Register if they satisfy certain criteria with regard to both training and ongoing requirements as determined from time to time by the General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (GHSC).
Members are either registered at Practitioner status (which confirms that the GHR acknowledges their qualification to practice), or Affiliate status. Although Affiliate level registrants will have completed a sufficient number of training hours to equip them to commence seeing clients on a limited basis, the GHR does not acknowledge them to have yet been trained to full practitioner level.
All GHR Registered Practitioners are required to accept the published Code of Ethics and Complaints & Disciplinary Procedure.
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Information about health conditions (*)
Hypnotherapy can enhance the well-being of individuals diagnosed with serious medical conditions, but should not take the place of medical treatment and advice. If you have been diagnosed with - or suspect you may have - any of these conditions, please speak to your doctor before starting hypnotherapy.
Please contact me by telephone/WhatsApp or email and suggest a preferred time to call you back. I will reply as soon as I possibly can. All contacts are completely confidential.