Tips for insomnia
Can't get to sleep? Wake up in the small hours? Exhausted and irritable? This short article could help.
Hypnotherapy for insomnia is very effective as it counteracts a psychological phenomenon known as coues law. The more you try to get to sleep, the wider awake you become. This is a due to a conflict between the unconscious and the conscious mind and can be part of the cause of many symptoms such as over eating, forgetfulness, hair pulling, vocal tics and many more.
You can actually sort this out yourself by changing your day to day language from:
- "I hope I sleep tonight."
- "I'm going to try and have a good sleep."
- "I don't sleep tonight I'm going to have a terrible time doing."
Instead use these phrases:
- "It will be so lovely and refreshing to have a long sleep."
- "I'm looking forward to a relaxing sleep tonight, my bed is so cosy and warm and I will feel great after a lovely, long sleep."
Once you start doing this, you will become aware of your inner voice attempting to contradict you for example, "but you won't sleep, will you?" Just notice this, and keep going with your helpful change of phrase.
The more you do this, the easier it gets, the little voice diminishes, you become calmer and the more you sleep, the more empowered you feel.
Of course hypnotherapy will have more components to it and will specifically target your needs, but for now give it a go. You really will feel fantastic when you solve your sleep issues yourself.
Find a hypnotherapist dealing with insomnia
or try our advanced search