Hypnotherapy and alcohol
Alcohol and the festive period
For many people, the festive period is difficult with the amount of alcohol that is on offer and seemingly available nearly everywhere we visit.
What is this to do with hypnotherapy?
Simply put it is an area that many hypnotherapists can help you with.
Some of us specialise on this subject and we respect your need for confidentiality.
The adverts on TV and in newspapers warn you of the dangers and the limits you should not exceed. Some are graphic and unpleasant.
Let me share some straightforward facts in simple terms. (Source is DOH)
- Women should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units a day.
- Men should not regularly drink more than 3-4 units a day.
- Regularly drinking more than this significantly increases the risk of ill health.
- What is meant by regularly?
- “Regularly” means drinking every day or most days of the week.
- This gives you some simple clues.
If you have a problem with alcohol it's pretty certain you know you have. The first step is being honest with yourself and then you can seek help to improve your situation.
A hypnotherapist will not judge you when you ask for help and for many of us we deal with alcohol difficulties on a regular basis.
We are not going to lecture you or patronise you, we are simply there and willing to help.
You are not alone in wanting to change your habit.
There are many myths about alcohol intake and this article is not about them.
This is about informing you about areas that hypnosis/hypnotherapy can work with.
Example: White wine is a good choice for a person who wants a light drink with less alcohol.
FALSE: It is a myth. A glass of white or red wine or a shot of whisky can all contain equivalent amounts of alcohol.
Here are some simple tips that I hope will help you survive the festive period.
- Keep a drinks diary. So easy to forget how much you consume.
- Plan ahead for social gatherings.
- Set yourself a limit and stick to it.
- Set a budget. Only take that amount of cash with you.
- Tell friends and family you are cutting down and could use some support.
- Order or pour smaller drinks. eg bottle of beer, not a pint.
- Chose lower ABV (alcohol by volume)
- Drink water between drinks and stay hydrated.
If you want help contact a local hypnotherapist or seek a recommendation.
Enjoy your festive season.
Find a hypnotherapist dealing with alcohol abuse
All therapists are verified professionals.