Are you suffering from wedding anxiety?
Are you feeling anxious about going to a wedding?
At this time of year, many people are preparing for summer weddings.
We can all feel anxiety. Both positive and negative events can trigger anxiety. It’s that feeling that can make our hearts beat faster, our stomachs churn or our breathing becomes rapid. Anxiety is the body’s way of responding to demands and possible threats. The body prepares us to run away, fight the threat or just freeze.
In 1967 a study by Holmes and Rahe looked at stressful life events and a list of stressful events was developed. Marriage was ranked high (7th) out of 43 stressful life events. They concluded that stressful events could have an impact on health.
Lots of people feel anxious around weddings whether it’s their own wedding, a friend or a family members wedding. It should be a wonderful celebration so why do people feel anxious about weddings? Possible reasons might be that:
- everyone wants to look good on the day
- people don’t want to be judged or expected to do things that they feel that they are not capable of doing
- with additional arrangements on a busy life schedule people feel out of control and they may struggle with conflicting beliefs
The first way to deal with this is to recognise that everyone has some anxiety, but when it is getting out of proportion by causing worry and affecting your lifestyle then this is the time to do something about it.
There are lots of things that can help including talking to a trusted friend, planning relaxation such as a massage, exercising and eating/sleeping well. Going to see your doctor for a health check is also a good idea.
Hypnotherapy can help with specific problems before the big day such as;
- fears e.g. public speaking or flying abroad for your honeymoon
- difficulties with losing weight
- unwanted habits e.g. nail biting, stopping smoking
- a lack of confidence and self-esteem
- social phobias
- some skin conditions such as psoriasis
- sexual performance related to stress and anxiety
So, if wedding day anxiety is bothering you, see a qualified hypnotherapist. Find out how they could help you feel so much better then just do what you know your want to do, enjoy the day!
Find a hypnotherapist who can help you cope with anxiety
or try our advanced search