10 Tips to help you stop smoking
Many people are using hypnotherapy to help them stop smoking – it’s popularity as a treatment is growing, mainly due to its amazing success. Here are some useful tips to help you prepare for stopping smoking.
It’s all about breaking the smoking habit
Quitting smoking is a huge challenge – people are often trying to break years of habit-forming behaviour. A lot of this deep-seated behaviour is subconscious and this is where hypnotherapy and hypnosis really comes into its own. The subconscious mind recognises all those times of day when you reach for a cigarette. It knows all those associations when you just have to smoke – maybe with a glass of wine, when you’re reading the paper or out with smoking friends. With hypnotherapy, you can directly communicate with your subconscious mind to break these associations and stop smoking – forever.
10 ways to prepare you and your body to stop smoking
If you are considering using hypnotherapy to stop smoking, it’s a good idea to prepare your body and mind for the challenge. Before hypnosis, your mind needs to be open to change and you also need to become more conscious of your cigarette habits. These small behavioural changes will help to break smoker habits long-term and be fully prepared for hypnotherapy.
1) Use the other hand to hold your cigarette when you smoke – this will feel a little strange, like writing with the other hand – but it makes you more conscious of your smoking.
2) If there is a strong association with having a cigarette and drinking tea, coffee or wine, then smoke before or after the drink – not with it. This will help break the habit.
3) If you always have a smoking place, then smoke somewhere else. For example if you smoke at the back door, do it at the front door instead.
4) Turn a smoking place into a non-smoking place. It’s fag-free – so do something else there, like read the paper.
5) Note down on a scale of 1-10 how much you wanted that cigarette and also how much you enjoyed it. You might see how the two don’t tally up.
6) Once you have your hypnotherapy appointment date booked tell people you are stopping smoking. This gives you a focus and helps others to support you too.
7) Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. You may be surprised at how easy you find it to quit smoking when you start hypnotherapy but you may still need some support and advice along the way. Remember your therapist wants you to succeed – they are always there to help and support you.
8) Believe in yourself – you have the ability to make this change to become a non-smoker. Before your hypnosis session, remind yourself of all the other things you have achieved in your life, even though some may have been difficult. Passing an exam, getting a new job or promotion, learning to drive – there will be lots if you think about it. You can do it.
9) Focus on what becoming a non-smoker will do for you and also your family. When you have kicked the habit and stopped smoking, you will be fitter, healthier, better off financially, more energetic and free from the inconvenience cigarettes can cause.
10) Decide in advance that, once you have stopped smoking, you will give yourself a reward. You will absolutely deserve it. Why not put aside the money that would have been spent on cigarettes and treat yourself to something – a gym membership, some new clothes or even a holiday.
Good luck, go for it. Stopping smoking will be the best thing you can ever do for your health and well-being.
Hypnotherapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Helen Brooks
Helen Brooks is a Senior Clinical Hypnotherapist who has a busy practice in Brighton and Hove specialising in helping people stop smoking. She has a Degree in Applied Psychology and uses behavioural psychology in conjunction with the latest hypnotherapy techniques to assist clients in making positive lasting changes to their lives.… Read more
Located in Brighton & Hove.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: