Welcome to Stephen Kelsey Hypnotherapist - I am fully qualified in Hypnotheraphy but also I hold a Honors Degree in Psychology and posses Membership of the British Psychology Society thus standing behind any attempt to help you in your change is a deep and substantive knowledge of neurology and psychology.
Below is a explanation of what I do - please note `Hypnosis` is a `technique` and as such I can use it to help you in all the areas I mention on my website.
- Weight loss
- Smoking (stopping not starting)
- Public Speaking ect
The first and most important thing to clarify is that hypnosis is nothing like you are led to believe it is on TV. A real hypnotist can no more control another's mind than a magician can really saw a woman in half - these are merely 'tricks'.
So if that’s what it is not, what is it?
Hypnosis is at its heart 'anti-trance'. Much of what we do day-to-day is in a kind of 'trance'. Take driving a car. At first this seems impossible - all four limbs have to move whilst you watch the road. However, after a while, you 'learn' to drive and you can now drive easily, to the extent that sometimes if you are thinking about something on a journey, you can arrive at your destination with no memory of the journey. This is because you have pushed the 'thinking' about the actual process of driving down into your subconscious. In effect, you were driving in a 'trance'. Many people react to situations that confront them in a similar fashion - they are not thinking them through and the underlying learned thoughts are driving the situation, in the same way as they drove the car.
Hypnosis is a method with which a skilled psychologist understanding the mechanisms of the mind can wake this 'sleeping' part up, allowing the individual client to take back control of a certain aspect of their life. In a nutshell, the brain is a imagination device. That's why films books etc interest us so very much because they speak to this imagination. Hypnosis is a shared act of imagination in which you become part of your own drama. The hypnotist guides you towards a joint storytelling with you as 'lead actor'. This may seem over-dramatic, but the brain is an emotional engine and needs to be spoken to in its own language - the language of imagination.
What I can do for you?
- I will carry out a detailed `history take` in which I will ask you a series of pertinent questions to try and discover who you are and exactly what your problem means to you. Together we will explore how you personally see the world, your beliefs and how your mind operates.
- I will then explain to you exactly what your mind is doing in relation to your particular problem and give you a new grasp on the problem that you face.
- Once this is done, I will use my knowledge of psychology to craft a `hypnotic script` that, in the same way as a pair of handmade shoes glide onto the feet they are made for, glides into your mind and is accepted by you as a new mental reality.
- I will then use this `hypnotic script` to guide you through hypnosis and other mental exercises that will allow you to deal with this complex problem.
- I will provide you with an audio download for you to use alongside our treatment sessions so that you can experience your personal script again and again, reinforcing the lesson.
Training, qualifications & experience
Stephen Kelsey BSc(Hons)Psy, MBPsS DoN, HPD
The letters after my name stand for:
BSc(Hons)Psy - I hold an honours degree in Psychology
MBPsS - Member of The British Psychological Society (BPS), the premier society of psychologists in Britain. Membership of BPS signifies that I have an upper class degree from an accredited university which has been verified, as has my background.
DoN - The Division of Neuropsychology - I am a member of the BPS Neuropsychology section.
HPD (Hypnotherapy Practitioners Diploma). The HPD is the first nationally accredited hypnotherapy qualification and is externally validated by the National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH) and the NCFE, an independent accrediting body.
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Information about health conditions (*)
Hypnotherapy can enhance the well-being of individuals diagnosed with serious medical conditions, but should not take the place of medical treatment and advice. If you have been diagnosed with - or suspect you may have - any of these conditions, please speak to your doctor before starting hypnotherapy.
£60 per session - 60 minutes to 90 minutes