Welcome to Reach Out Therapy. My name is Robert Fairhead and I can help you transform your life for the better!
I am a highly-skilled, 'advanced' clinical hypnotherapist and psychotherapist - and considered to be one of the leading therapists in the South East of England. I now supervise other therapists as well as passionately helping all my own clients to get back on track and achieve their goals as quickly as possible. I achieve an exceptionally high success rate, by combining the best of several different therapies, including, psychotherapy, clinical hypnosis, CBT and counselling, NLP, BWRT, EMDR and much more.
I graduated 17 years ago from the Essex Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy, which is where I also received my advanced training and have been working in a busy, full time practice ever since in Southend on Sea. I work from my very comfortable consulting room in Southend near Southend High School for Girls.
It's important that the person you entrust to help you, is not only experienced, but also highly qualified, multi-disciplined and most importantly, 'passionate' about what they do - I pride myself on genuinely caring about every clients welfare and recovery. It is a privilege to be a therapist and I get a massive amount of personal satisfaction in helping my clients overcome their issues, so they can get on with the all-important task of enjoying living their lives.
I specialise in the following issues:
- Relationship Counselling - over recent years I have built up a reputation for being able to assist couples resolve their issues where they have previously been unable to. In fact most of my clients come from recommendations, which is hopefully a good sign. I use many effective techniques to get clients to zoom out and see things from different perspectives. Often, that sense of 'hopelessness' can stem from tensions brought about by differences in background, upbringing and personal experiences and expectations and often these things can seem impossible to get past. Disparity over sexual expectations is another potential deal-breaker and can often lead to one or both partners feeling rejected and desperately unfulfilled within the relationship. Do 'not' despair, I have found in the majority of cases, these issues are resolvable if you can find the root causes of why for example someone does not particularly have a high sex drive. With a little effort and the right guidance, these issues can usually be resolved and harmony restored to the relationship. On the occasions where couples really are a mismatch, counselling can help both individuals to come to terms with letting go with as little disruption and pain as possible - especially important where there are children involved. Feel free to call me and discuss. I get many people say that even just the initial chat over the phone provided much-needed relief!
- Children's Therapy - ages from 6 to 16 years of age (parents welcome to accompany their children where appropriate). Growing up can be tough and there are a minefield of potential dangers out there that can unbalance a vulnerable young mind. Things that may not seem like a big deal to an adult can go on to have a profound impact on a young mind. I regularly help children overcome fear from bullying; psychological abuse; poor self-image; fear of failure; separation issues; illogical thoughts; general lack of confidence and self-esteem; self-harming and much more.
- Stress and anxiety - can be debilitating. Many people do not realise that there is an absolute mind and body connection that means that if you are continuously feeling stressed and anxious it is also likely that eventually you will start encountering physical issues too, which can, in turn, bring about even more stress and anxiety - a vicious circle! I can help you regain control of your life and help you to feel happy and whole again.
- Confidence and self-esteem - We can lose both for many reasons and in fact, in many cases I deal with people who have not been given the upbringing they deserved, where the client feels they have 'never' felt good about themselves, so it is difficult for them to even comprehend what that would be like - let me help you turn that around. However, problems in this respect do not 'always' stem from childhood - sometimes we can just encounter a difficult period in our life, for example a combination of several traumatic events such as bereavement, the loss of a job, unbalanced work-life balance (which is often linked to the inability to say 'no'!), etc can lead to a lack of confidence and poor self-esteem. With the right help, you CAN get your life back on track and better than ever - never settle for less than you can be.
- Phobia's - Including but not limited to a fear of: spiders / snakes / insects / dogs / flying / public speaking / talking to people / social phobia / sickness / the dark - and many many more. I am able to help you desensitise the negative emotions you have about your phobia and gain a totally different perspective of them. Phobia’s may be irrational thought processes, but they can happen to any of us and when those feelings strike, they are ‘very’ real. If your life is being adversely affected by the debilitating effect of a phobia, please contact me.
- Letting go of guilt - We have all done things that we regret in life, especially where we perceive we have hurt someone we care about. Even when we have understood our mistake we can often still really struggle with letting go of the guilt and this will result in us not being ourselves and therefore ironically continuing to hurt the very same people we love that we feel bad for, which makes no sense?! Understanding that and actually letting go of the guilt are too different things. I can help you.
I also work with a multitude of other mind related issues and regularly work with issues such as:
- Weight loss - One of the reasons my weight loss sessions are so successful is because I will not focus you on hating certain foods. Why would you want to limit yourself when you don't have to do that to reach your ideal weight? If you lose weight, but still feel totally miserable, is that really a success? Let me help you regain the right balance in your life to lose the weight in such a way that it will improve your life 'all-round'. You have to understand that there is ALWAYS an underlying reason why we put on too much weight. Eating too much is a 'symptom' and not the underlying cause! Using various techniques I will help you understand 'why' you are putting on weight and then help you to deal with those underlying issues. Changing your poor beliefs so that you no longer feel the need to comfort eat is always the best way.
(Please note: the exception is an underlying medical condition, such as thyroid dysfunction for example - always consult a doctor first to be sure).
- Maximising sports performance - I have worked with several world-class sportspeople that have seen a significant improvement in their performance. I work a lot with clients hoping to improve performance in athletics; swimming; boxing; golf; tennis, but I can work with all sports.
- IBS - Do you stress about going anywhere in case you need a toilet? Even stepping outside your house for short periods of time can be difficult for someone who suffers from IBS. For some time now it has been identified as a condition that is brought about or exacerbated by stress and anxiety. I can help you find the seeds of those issues and work on the way you deal with them so you can be in control once more of your emotional responses to those triggers. In most cases, this has a dramatic effect on reducing the symptoms of IBS - Learn to control of your IBS, don't let it control you!
- Stop smoking - I use an award-winning Quit smoking programme that has been shown to have a very high success rate. It is recognised that the use of hypnosis is one of the most successful methods to become a permanent non-smoker.
- Hypochondria - We can often worry about things that we know consciously are irrational. One of the most common fears is often around health, to a point we can become obsessed about every little thing. A sore throat automatically becomes throat cancer, a headache equals a brain tumour and so on. Whilst it is important to take your health seriously, achieving a happy balance is vital to living a happy life.
- Bad habits - e.g. nail-biting, hair pulling, etc, are usually associated with stress and anxiety. I get excellent results with a combination of uncovering the root causes and changing the clients perception of them as well as replacing those thought processes with positive belief files that will provide you with the solutions you are looking for.
Training, qualifications & experience
I qualified as a Hypnotherapist and Psychotherapist at The Essex Institute of Clinical Hypnosis and Psychotherapy - a world class learning facility under the tutorage of Terence Watts, Hypnotherapist, Lecturer and Author.
I am an accredited Member of the Association for Professional Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (APHP) as well as an accredited Member of the National Register of Psychotherapists and Counsellors.
I supervise and train other therapists, having gained GHR accredited supervisory qualifications.
I regularly attend additional training courses to remain fully up to date with all the latest techniques. Here are a few of the training courses I have attended since qualifying:
- BWRT - (Brain work recursive therapy) - probably one of the most exciting and effective new therapies in the world today - works on behavioural change
- Advanced Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy
- Childs Play - helping children (6 and over) deal with psychological issues - mainly confidence & self esteem and coming to terms with traumatic experiences, including parents separation.
- Hypno and Psycho-Analysis
- W.S.N (Warrior, Settlers and Nomads) Archetypal parts therapy
- EMDR - Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing - an amazing technique that helps you release and desensitise the emotional attachment we have with traumatic events.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Working with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Working with Diabetes
- Pain Management
- Psycho-Sexual dysfunction
- Symbio-dynamics Consultant and Practitioner
- Suggestion Therapy
- GHR Supervisor accreditation
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
Each member of APHP has received thorough training in hypnosis and hypnotherapy, is competent and conscientious, and abides strictly by a code of ethics.
There are four grades of membership: Licentiate (LAPHP), Registered Member (MAPHP), Accredited Member (MAPHP(acc.)) and Fellow (FAPHP), with the different categories standing for different levels of training and experience.
The Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy is a member organisation of UKCHO (an umbrella body for the hypnotherapy profession in the United Kingdom).
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Information about health conditions (*)
Hypnotherapy can enhance the well-being of individuals diagnosed with serious medical conditions, but should not take the place of medical treatment and advice. If you have been diagnosed with - or suspect you may have - any of these conditions, please speak to your doctor before starting hypnotherapy.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Childrens Therapy
- Dealing with issues of guilt
- FREE initial telephone consultation - Take advantage of an opportunity to ask an experienced therapist as many questions as you like before therapy commences without any pressure to book. I never pressure prospective clients as it is so important that the client is ready to make the next steps in their own mind first.
- Relationship / family counselling, 2 people or more
1 hour - £90
90 minutes - £130
2 hours - £170
- Individual psychotherapy, clinical hypnotherapy & counselling sessions (including EMRD, BWRT, NLP, CBP)
1 hour - £80
90 minutes - £115
2 hours - £150
- Quit Smoking session
2 hours - £200
There are a MILLION reasons why Online therapy is taking off, and many people are now raving about doing therapy this way instead. In fact, for the first time, even before Covid, I was starting to see more clients online than face to face and there are many GREAT reasons for this - please see below:
- Maybe you live just down the road, but after a great session, you don't want to have to get into the car again - you might prefer to just lay down, relax and reflect for a while longer in your own home? :)
- Perhaps you require exceptional therapy and are concerned there is no one near you that fits the bill? ...Well, don't let distance stand in your way any longer! You can be on the other side of the country, or anywhere else in the world for that matter - as long as you have an internet connection, then we can connect and you can get to speak to one of the top therapists in the UK. You will even have an opportunity to undertake an initial free 30-minute consultation to see if you enjoy the online experience for yourself with no pressure or obligation to undertake further sessions :)
- Or perhaps you are in need of therapy, but you travel a great deal for business or pleasure? If you can spare just an hour, we can give you the reset you need so you can make the most of any situation, or change your mindset or get advice on how to deal with a difficult situation, from anywhere that is convenient for you :)
- Maybe you don't get a lot of free time, but you can connect to the internet for an hour during a lunch break, we can connect and help you resolve your issues :)
If you like the efficiency of not having to travel and waste time getting to and from sessions or for any of the above reasons, online therapy presents an opportunity for you to get the help you need, then please get in touch. :)
Clients are generally so surprised at the ease and benefits of doing therapy online and soon realise that there is virtually nothing we can do face to face that we cannot do via Zoom as well :)
Zoom is free and all you have to do is register with them, it only takes a minute and then you are ready to Zoom. I would then send you an email invite to the meeting, which enables us to connect. It is as easy as that :)
Appointment times are booked exclusively to help you. If you are unable to attend for your reserved appointment, I would be grateful if you could give me at least 24 hours notice so that I can offer the slot to another client who needs help in their life.
Please note that cancellations within 24 hours, or non-attendance of your appointment, will incur a full cancellation fee and future sessions may be cancelled.
Monday - Thursday: 7.00 am - 22.00 pm ; Friday: 7.00 am - 18.00 pm ; Saturday / Sunday Closed
* I am a therapist SUPERVISOR
* I am currently writing several books and courses both for clients, other therapists, and businesses due out later next year - Watch this space :-)
Please note - It is always recommended to talk to your therapist before you book. A therapist may have all the knowledge in the world, but it is also important that they have great communication skills, the ability to build a mutually good rapport with their client and are able to communicate their knowledge in a clear and understandable format that makes sense to you - These factors are just as important as the technical knowledge in ensuring you get the best therapy available and the results you are looking for.
Before becoming a therapist I was a 'motivational communications teacher', part of which involved adapting communication styles to suit the learning needs of the individual. I have found this fits in perfectly with being a therapist as I am always able to build a great rapport with clients and that is a vital part of successful therapy. I also ensure that I put things across in an easy to understand manner that makes sense to anyone, including children.
As a valued client, you can expect the highest degree of professionalism and an individually tailored therapy created just for you based on your own unique requirements, personality, background and circumstances - not just a one size fits all approach.
All work is completely confidential. I work to a strict code of ethics, with integrity and honesty and I can reassure you that you will never be judged. My clients are treated with compassion and genuine care.
Psychotherapy is extremely effective at enabling positive changes to thought processes. Combining psychotherapy with clinical hypnotherapy speeds up this process as hypnosis is more easily able to bypass the minds natural resistance to change, helping you to get your life back on track at the earliest opportunity.
I also use NLP (neuro-linguistic programming), CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), EMDR (Eye movement desensitising and reprocessing) and BWRT (Brain work recursive therapy).
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile. For more information or to find out exactly how I can help 'you', please call me - 07747 870443 - If I am in a session, please feel free to text me and I will come back to you ASAP)
Please feel free to copy and paste this link into your browser bar to check out all my verified Google reviews: www.shorturl.at/ajrLU
Rob Fairhead MAPHP (Acc.) DHP (Adv.) MNRPC (Acc.) MIBWRT