How hypnotherapy can help you lose weight
17th May, 20180 Comments
Here are a few ways in which hypnotherapy can assist in weight loss:
It uncovers your motivation
Sometimes we may be motivated to lose weight and gain weight at the same time without even knowing it. Here is an example: imagine an overweight thirty-year-old who was molested as a child. Consciously she desires to lose weight, but her subconscious, which has her survival and protection as its highest value, recognizes that if she remains overweight, she might have less chance of being attacked again or maybe feels that the excess weight is like a protective barrier of safety between her and the world.
Digging deep reveals our hidden motivations and desires. It’s important to ask “What do you want? Why do you want it? How will you know you have achieved it? How will you feel when you have it? What do you lose by having it?”
Helps you change your associations to foods
The conscious mind is about 10% of your mind, and the subconscious makes up 90%. You might have good intentions of exercising more and making better food choices but if your subconscious mind is not on board you will not succeed. Only 10% of your mind might be allied to your diet, the other 90% could be sabotaging it.
Carbohydrates help to create serotonin and it’s often the case that we will eat foods that contain sugar when we are in a low mood to give us a quick pick-me-up. The subconscious mind might have already developed a positive association with sweets and this may have begun in early childhood. Chocolates and sugary snacks are often given to children as rewards or even as treats to celebrate special occasions.
To get the subconscious mind on board with your diet, we need to re-programme the subconscious mind. Re-programme it so that the association of linking sugar to feeling good can be ‘dis-associated’.
It deals with your emotions
In most cases, a person who is overweight, got there because of an emotional reason. When they diet they are treating the symptom and not the cause. Hypnotherapy can treat the cause, thus enabling the weight loss and ensuring that any weight loss does not return at a later stage.
It re-programmes your subconscious script
We rise to the level of our subconscious script so, if our script is programmed that we are overweight, we will remain overweight no matter what we do. The subconscious is a goal-seeking machine—so give it a new target. Through visualizations and pseudo orientation in time the subconscious accepts a new weight level as part of its programme and then works towards this goal.
Hypnotherapy in combination with other treatments
Hypnotherapy on its own can be successful but when combined with multiple facets such as exercise, nutrition, EFT, etc. then it will be even more effective. It leads to an improved sense of well-being, less desire for the wrong foods and better decision making. The improved self-esteem leads to more positive behaviour options, and the improved self is eventually imprinted into the subconscious. The subconscious automatically follows what it thinks is the ‘programme’. The image of you as happy, healthy and trim becomes your reality.
About the author
I'm a clinical hypnotherapist working in central London, wanting to make the world a more peaceful place!
Hypnotherapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Desmond O'Connor - BEd(Cantab), DipPsych, MSc, DipHypMay 29th, 2018
Biodun Ogunyemi ANLP,BNLP,SNLP,C.H,Dip.HypJune 7th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Biodun Ogunyemi ANLP,BNLP,SNLP,C.H,Dip.HypOctober 13th, 2014
Linda Mortimer BSc (Hons) MSc, D.Hyp, MNCH (Acc)March 20th, 2017