A technique to eliminate negative thoughts
Do you experience a continuous flow of thoughts of what’s not working, and what can go wrong? Reinforcing just how vulnerable and out of control you feel?
Many people have a problem with switching off the negative stream of thoughts running as a continuous background programme.
Here is a simple technique to demonstrate how you can turn that unwanted negative stream off.
Our brains are now programmed to search for negativity more than ever before. We are fed the news on the hour.
Over 95% of that hourly information we receive is bad news that feeds our fear. Kickstarting an emotional response such as worry, fear, anxiety and adrenalin leaving us feeling scared, shocked, outraged, sad, despondent and depleted.
Unconsciously streams of worrying, fearfulness and preoccupation are becoming our norm our accepted hard wiring. If you like... we are seeking and looking for the problem. We are training our brains to look for the drama.
Take a moment now and jot down anything that is bothering you, causing constant concern and preoccupation. Keeping you awake at night i.e.:
- Lack of money.
- Not able to pay the mortgage.
- Fear of public speaking.
- Fearful of not succeeding.
- Consumed by an unhappy relationship.
By taking a positive perspective we can change the way we come at a problem. The key to success is flexibility – being able to chunk up and down optimally. Zooming into the detail and back out to the big picture enables a fluidity of thinking, creativity and communication.
If you feel overwhelmed in your work, a task or project, or in a personal situation it can be incredibly helpful to chunk down. As you create smaller chunks you can work out what you need to do and what you can manage to do.
The chunking technique
Take the following example to explain the technique.
Problem: Insomnia - I am so stressed I just can’t sleep and it’s ruining my life.
Persisting stream of negative thoughts:
- I’m overwhelmed at work and can’t cope I have too many deadlines.
- I am letting the client down.
- I will get a bad reputation.
- If I get a bad reputation no one will give me any work.
- I won’t be able to afford the mortgage/rent. I will end up living on the streets.
Solution - Chunk the problem down.
- Who can I delegate to help with the workload?
- How urgent is the task? If I don’t complete by tomorrow is someone going to die?
- How can I best manage my time?
- What else can I let go of - what work do I no longer enjoy doing?
- How can I ensure my health doesn’t suffer - what do I enjoy doing that makes me feel happier and healthier?
- What can I learn from this?
Try it out next time you lay awake worrying about something that you feel you have no control over.
Hypnotherapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Nicola Menage
Hello my name is Nicola Menage, as a motivational hypnotherapist I specialise in working to help get you back safely to feeling in control of your life. Fully qualified hypnotherapist, practising for 13 years, based in Oxfordshire. Author of Mind Your Language Seven Steps to Success. Frequently invited to speak as an inspirational public speaker.