We’ve previously blogged about creating new habits and making them stick, but what should you do if you’re trying to stop a negative habit?
Just as we are capable of making new habits, we are very capable of breaking old habits. It does however take time and willpower.
The first step is to understand why your habit is negative and why you want to stop.
Start by asking yourself the following questions:
- When did the habit start?
- How long have you had the habit?
- Is it associated with your emotions?
- How do your friends and family perceive the habit?
- Why do you want to stop the habit?
Answering these questions can offer you some perspective before you start the process of changing your habits. Below we list some tips to help you get started.