This, according to charity Diabetes UK, will put significant strain on the already stretched NHS budget.
Already, 10% of the NHS budget is spent treating people with diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is thought to be caused by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles and accounts for 90% of all diabetes cases. The remaining 10% is caused by Type one diabetes, characterised by an inability to produce insulin.
850,000 additional people are thought to have Type 2 diabetes without knowing it.
Diabetes UK chief executive Barbara Young said: ‘If this projected increase becomes reality, it would be a calamity for the healthcare system and a disaster for public health. But the Government and the NHS do not seem to have grasped the scale of the impending crisis and at the moment we seem to be sleepwalking towards it.”
In light of the concerning figures, the charity has called for the government to fund a public health campaign to raise awareness about diabetes, which is known to cause kidney failure, stroke, blindness and amputation.
With the NHS already at breaking point, diabetes patients in the coming years simply will not have access to adequate treatment.
Diabetes UK stresses that it is not too late to prevent the situation from worsening, but the time to act is now.
The people of Britain need to take a greater responsibility for their own health and not wait until it is too late to seek medical support.
We can all help today, by improving our diets and increasing our physical activity. It takes only a few small changes to make a big difference.
If you struggle to find the will-power to stop eating fatty, sugary, stodgy foods, or you lack the drive to exercise, then you might benefit from hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy works by altering a person’s thought patterns so that they can overcome the obstacles standing in the way between them and a healthy lifestyle. To find out more about how hypnotherapy could help you to lead a healthier lifestyle, please visit our page on Weight Loss.
View and comment on the original Daily Mail article.