Lea Clark MSc
I use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy together with Hypnotherapy in a comprehensive and in - depth way to create rapid and long lasting change. My areas of expertise are anxiety and stress management. Many of my clients suffering from anxiety have also had relationship problems or low self esteem and self confidence, and following therapy, have achieved new, more useful ways of coping and dealing with their feelings and behaviour.
We all have the same aim in life; to be happy. What we believe about the situations we face – not the situations themselves – determines how we feel and behave. Anxiety, depression and panic attacks are often the result of our inability to deal with strongly held beliefs. It is all too easy for us to put ourselves down, and feel guilty, hurt or worthless. We get jealous, angry, hostile and bitter, or suffer anxiety, tension and panic. Different people react in different ways to the same situation.
The Cognitive approach provides a means for you firstly to analyse those beliefs, thoughts and feelings which are becoming problematic for you and then to modify them.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a well accepted and validated therapy used to treat many conditions. When combined with hypnotherapy, the effect is more powerful. According to Kirsch et al. 1993, the average client receiving cognitive behavioural hypnotherapy improved further than at least 80% of clients receiving cognitive behavioural therapy only. (1)
In Hypnotherapy, hypnosis – a natural relaxed state like daydreaming, is used to enhance your capacity to focus on developing skills and resources already present.
4 to 6 sessions of therapy are often sufficient to help you explore and change some strongly held beliefs; however, sometimes more sessions are required. Regular homework assignments are an essential part of effective therapy, helping you at the end to ‘be your own therapist'. Smoking cessation normally requires one (double) or two sessions - including a thorough questionnaire.
(1) Kirsch, I., Montgomery, G.,& Sapirstein,G, Hypnosis as an adjunct to Cognitive Behavioural Psychology. Issue 2 April 1995 p 214 – 220
Training, qualifications & experience
I am committed to personal and professional development and have continued my own health related studies for more than 30 years. My training and qualifications include:
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy (2)(College of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies) 2011
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy (1) (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) 2007
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) 2004
- Diploma in Existential Counselling and Psychotherapy (Regents College, School of Psychotherapy and Counselling) 1997
- Master of Science in Health Promotion (Brunel University) 1993
- Lecturer in Nursing 1988
- Health Visitor 1983
Some other courses and Master classes in which I have participated include:
- “How to manage Stress: A Woman’s Workshop” (Fred Pryor Seminars) 1995
- Primary Certificate in Stress Management (Centre for Stress Management)1999
- Masterclass: “Psychoneuroimmunology” (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) 2006
- Masterclass : “Unexplained Infertility” (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) 2008
- Masterclass: “Panic Disorders” (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) 2008
- Masterclass: “Weight Management” (College of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies) 2012
My work in organisations has included developing health promotion strategies for private and public sector clients, and developing and leading courses in stress management, relaxation, communication skills, and smoking cessation. I have also developed and delivered training courses in Emotional Intelligence for teachers and other school staff.
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Addictions *
- Anger management
- Anxiety *
- Depression *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Insomnia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessions and compulsions *
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Public speaking
- Quit smoking
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Living life to the full means experiencing uncomfortable feelings along the way. Learning how to handle these feelings is essential. Below are some examples and comments from clients who have learnt to cope and handle their anxieties and fears.
“Once again, thank you for all you did to prepare me and help me get the most out of my trip. It has been a learning curve as aside from the flying, I've found that outside normal routines, I'm much more anxious about doing things that I'm unfamiliar with than I thought. So all the exercises I learnt actually helped me in a huge range of situations. All things I'd never thought I'd do!
I have definitely shown that although I do worry about lots of situations, (I'm not sure this will change) I can and do tolerate them and I'm not prevented from doing them or taking part because of it. I obviously won't ever enjoy flying, but I can manage it and although I might get nervous about other experiences, once my nerves are under control, I've had the most memorable and unique opportunities which I have loved doing.
I'm so thankful that I've had this opportunity which you knew I could do and I have such a range of techniques which I know work for me and I will be able to use forever now.” (Client A, summer 15)
“I would like to thank you for all your hard work and support over the last couple of months. You have always been very friendly and made me feel so comfortable. I have learnt a lot from self-hypnosis and healthy beliefs. I feel much more confident in controlling my anxieties. Thank you.” (Client B, Spring 15)
£65 per session for the first session (90 mins),
£60 for the second session (60 mins)
£55 for the third session (60 mins)
£50 for the fourth and any subsequent sessions (60 mins)
£130 for smoking cessation
My sessions take place in a peaceful environment where you are able to explore what you want to achieve from the therapy, your goals and expectations, and roughly how long it will take to overcome your problem. Hypnotherapy is used as an essential part of each session enabling you to focus and find solutions in a relaxed state of mind.
I am a Full member of the British Society of Clinical Hypnosis.