Denise Morgan-Ayrs BSc DipHyp FRSSA FSHTC MNACHP FSSM
South Side Therapy Centre
1st Floor, 86 Causewayside
Complementary Healthcare Clinic
153A Grahams Road
0845 474 8665 / 07751659028
Denise initially trained with an integrated diploma of hypnotherapy, counselling and psychotherapy validated by the International Professional Board of Hypnotherapy. After completing her training and supervised practice cases she launched full time in practice in 2005 as a partner in Scotlandtherapy, based in Edinburgh.
As well as her hypnotherapy training, which has led to CNHC (voluntary regulator and AVR scheme) registration, she has also completed multiple CPD courses in counselling, complementary therapies and nutrition, as well as a BSc (Open) degree in psychology and health topics. She is also trained in Reiki and Indian Head Massage.
The Accredited Voluntary Register scheme is maintained by the Professional Standards Authority for healthcare professionals not subject to statutory regulation. CNHC is the official UK government funded and supported voluntary regulator for complementary therapies including hypnotherapy, and is itself an AVR.
Denise's approach is to use light trance or altered state to provide humanistic counselling type support and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy support, free association style analysis and other psychotherapies. She also uses deeper trance stated for mindfulness and meditative style hypnotherapy, often combined with Reiki and Crystal based meditation.
Overall the CBT and counselling based ground work is combined with mindfulness based hypnosis, and supported by life coaching methods (and CBT) to enable change. Denise also draws on her training and experience as a Mental Health Support Worker (previously with Health in Mind), especially her CBT based training.
Denise's main areas of focus are:
- Moving on from abuse, domestic violence and offending. Denise has university training in criminology and related health and psychology issues
- Stress and anger management using complementary therapies both body and mind based.
- Managing mental health issues including depression, anxiety, mood disorders and personality disorders using CBT based psychological therapies (as recommended by NICE) in combination with other complementary and talking therapies.
- Denise specialises in relaxed state CBT, analysis and counselling methods, providing talking and psychological therapies in a comfortable and relaxed state of very light trance.
- Denise also uses deeper and more formal trance for mindfulness hypnosis, affirmation hypnosis, Cognitive behavioural hypnosis, visualisation hypnosis and meditation techniques.
- Denise also uses her training in nutritional therapy, diet and use of herbalism in nutrition to assist in weight management and weight loss cases. She combines hypnosis and CBT for the emotional side of weight management, and sensible nutritional and exercise plans for food and exercise control. Denise is a "common sense" therapist in relation to diet and nutrition. She does not expect her clients (or herself) to be a perfect weight, but instead works towards sensible exercise and weight goals. She herself enjoys gym, horse agility and combat martial arts including Krav Maga.
- Denise also provides counselling based support and CBT around equine based therapy. She and her partner work in conjunction with a professional stables in Perthsire. The equine activity is managed by qualified equine staff, and then debriefing therapy is available afterwards. This is helpful for confidence, self esteem, anxiety, dissociation and PTSD issues.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Board of Hypnotherapy validated diploma in Hypnotherapy, Counselling and Psychotherapy. included job shadowing, supervised practice clients, class room training and blended learning over 2 years.
- BSc (Open) degree in Psychology and health topics
- Certificated in Indian Health Massage (SHTC & CMA approved training)
- Reiki Master attuned, traditional and alternative
- ASET Level 4 Life Coaching (with full practical training)
- ASET Level 4 Counselling (with full practical training)
- ASET Level 4 Nutrition (with full practical training)
- ASET Level 3 Diet and Nutrition (with full practical training)
- ASET Level 4 Complementary Therapies (with full practical training)
- ASET Level 3 Herbalism (with full practical training)
- Diploma in Herbalism
- Diploma in Crystal Healing
- ABC Level 3 Anatomy & Physiology
- Mental Health 1st Aid training
- WRAPS Mental Health training
- Certificate of Education, Edinburgh University (various topics including psychology)
- 1st Aid at work certificated
- CNHC (Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council) (regulator and AVR Scheme) registered hypnotherapist
- NACHP (National Association of Counsellors Hypnotherapists and Psychotherapists) registered counsellor, hypnotherapist and psychotherapist (CNHC verification body)
- Fellow of the SSM Society of Stress Managers: Analysis, stress management counselling, health education and clinical hypnotherapy.(CNHC verification body)
- SHTC (Society of Holistic Therapists and Coaches) fellow member, therapist, life coach, and board member (and disabilities officer)
- Fellow of the Royal Scottish Society of Arts
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Addictions *
- Anger management
- Anxiety *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome *
- Depression *
- Eating disorders *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Food addiction *
- Gambling addiction *
- Insomnia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessions and compulsions *
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Post-traumatic stress disorder *
- Public speaking
- Relationship issues
- Sex addiction *
- Sleep disorders *
- Stress *
- Weight loss
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Body Mind Psychology
General Anxiety Disorder
Non Epileptic Attack Disorder
Moving on from abuse
Moving on from Offending
Moving on from Domestic Violence
Diet and Nutrition
Anxious personality disorder
Indian Head Massage
Life Coaching Edinburgh
Mental health support work
Mental health support counselling
Mental health support coaching
Mindfulness based cognitive therapy MBCT
Equine based counselling therapy
Nail biting hypnosis
Stress management Edinburgh
Stress management Falkirk
Anger management Edinburgh
Anger management Falkirk
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Edinburgh
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Falkirk
Photos & videos
Information pack available on request.
Low cost scheme available in Edinburgh to persons on benefits ,low income, Students.
3 tier fee scheme:
1. Fully employed
2. Top up benefits, 3rd Sector, NHS employees below GP level
3. Low cost scheme
Denise specialises in body and mind combined therapy. She works with the client to resolve emotional issues using counselling skills and free association hypno-analysis in a light trance. She also uses light trance to provide cognitive behavioural support. NICE recommend CBT based psychological therapies for a range of mental health problems, and Denise supports persons with depression, anxiety and mood disorders with CBT based therapies.
Counselling methods, free association analysis and CBT based therapies are offered in an altered state or light state of relaxation.
Mindfulness, meditation, affirmation hypnosis, visualisation hypnosis, (self) healing hypnosis and more formal hypno-analysis is offered in a medium to deep state of formal trance.
A light state of trance is often used for Reiki and energy (self)healing based therapies. Crystals are often used as a meditation and mindfulness aid.
Denise is also qualified and insured to provide nutritional advice and therapy. she therefore used hypnosis to address the emotional side of eating and weight problems, while using her nutritional training to help design appropriate diet and exercise patterns in order to manage or lose weight. She also works with people with eating disorders to address their problems and enable healthier eating.
Denise works primarily with people with emotional and mental health issues, drawing on her experience as a Mental health Support Worker. She combines the above counselling, CBT and analysis based methods with supportive life coaching. Issues include stress, anger, depression, anxiety, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, relationship issues, commitment issues, moving on from abuse and moving on from offending.
Denise has a particular interest in post abuse, post domestic violence and post offending work, helping the client to move on, heal and recover through supportive therapy and self awareness.
Denise receives regular supervision from a ISPC, SHTC and NCP approved supervisor.
Denise carries out regular CPD training, including university based study.
Denise also provides counselling and therapy support around equine based activity in Perthshire.
Hypnotherapy in Edinburgh
Hypnotherapist in Edinburgh
Counselling in Edinburgh
Counsellor in Edinburgh
Psychotherapy in Edinburgh
Psychotherapist in Edinburgh
Life coach in Edinburgh
Life coaching in Edinburgh
Analysis in Edinburgh
Psychoanalysis in Edinburgh
Anger management Edinburgh
Stress management Edinburgh
Stress management counselling Edinburgh
Mindfulness meditation Edinburgh
Anxiety counselling Edinburgh
Depression counselling Edinburgh
Indian Head Massage Edinburgh
Personality disorder counselling Edinburgh
Mood disorder counselling Edinburgh
Mental health support work Edinburgh
mental health lifestyle coaching Edinburgh
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Edinburgh
Clinical Hypnotherapy Edinburgh
Sessions in Edinburgh available most week days during office hours and on Saturdays. Falkirk sessions available on Fridays by arrangement. ALL SESSIONS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY