Barrie Foster (BSJ Consultancy: Hypnotherapy, Psychotherapy & Counselling)
07949 140 226
Clinical hypnotherapy, psychotherapy and counselling clinic only 10 minutes drive from the Centre of Louth and Horncastle (home consultations also available). Barrie holds the Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy Accredited by the British Medical Hypnotherapy Examinations Board (1998). This means he has been assessed and qualified by medical professionals.
Welcome to my profile page, my name is Barrie and I work integratively with hypnotherapy and psychotherapy. This means I use a range of models in therapy, including Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy, NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), EMDR (Eye Movement Desentisisation Reprocessing), Timeline Therapy TM, Hypno-Sensory Therapy, Gestalt Therapy (including Empty Chair Work), Inner Child, Focussing, Solution Focussed Therapy, and Integrative Counselling, to help you recover and promote healing from past trauma and current issues withing your life. Also, I use wonderful tools of change within Hypnotherapy and NLP that help free you from 'stuckness', inspire motivation to 'walk the road less travelled' and help you to achieve your goals and get more from your life.
"I believe there is often much more to helping a person than talking and listening." - Barrie Foster.
Here are just a few of the areas I can help you with:
- Assertiveness, Self-esteem and Confidence Building
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Relationship Problems
- Childhood Abuse/Adult Trauma
- Low Mood & Depression
- Anxiety & Panic
- Bereavement & Loss
- Fears & Phobias
- Behavioural Problems
- Motivation/Setting Life Goals
- Life Coaching
- Smoking Cessation/Weight Loss (Virtual Gastric Band)
Everyone is unique in their individuality and if your problem is not listed, I may still be able to help. Please feel free to ask.
Here are some recent client testimonials:
"You cared about my well-being and gave me space to be the real me. You helped me to identify the root of my fear. No one has ever helped me before. Thank you from the bottom of my heart." Client, Louth, Lincolnshire.
"You did more than help me understand." Client, Lincoln.
"I had to do something about work, I couldn't leave another job. You helped me grow a confidence out of nothing! At supervision last week, my manager talked about promotion. This is fantastic! Thank you Barrie." Client, Horncastle, Lincolnshire.
"It was truly amazing! I cannot recommend hypnotherapy enough. I went from a gnawing feeling in my gut every day, to marshmallow clouds! I was drinking every night after work, and now I enjoy time with the kids. I'm even eating healthier foods and enjoying them! Thank you Barrie." Client, Louth, Lincolnshire.
"Without you, I wouldn't be here. Thank you Barrie." Client, Lincolnshire.
- I will treat you with respect and provide a safe, confidential and ethical relationship.
- Our first session is an Initial Consultation which generally lasts for 60 minutes (consecutive Consultations last for 60 minutes). This Initial Consultation is an opportunity to meet each other, discuss your problem, for me to take a note of your history, and for us both to discuss your goals/outcomes of your therapy.
- At the end of the Initial Assessment/Consultation, I will give you an honest opinion as to whether I feel hypnotherapy and/or psychotherapy will be useful to you.
- I will normally ask you to provisionally commit to a number of sessions at this time. This will help me to formulate a treatment programme to suit your needs.
- During our time together, I will encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings about what is bothering you. I will also remind you in many therapeutic ways that you are valued and respected.
- I will help us both develop a professional, trusting relationship, as I listen to you expressing your difficulties.
- When you feel ready, working as a team, we will process your feelings to help bring you to a happier and more contented place in your life.
My clinic is only 10 minutes drive from the centre of Louth and 10 minutes drive from the centre of Horncastle.
I can also travel throughout the Louth and surrounding areas of Lincolnshire to provide Home Consultations. The fee may be a little more due to travelling time and expenses. If you have a query about this, please feel free to contact me via the contact on this profile page, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you read down this page, I give quite an insight into my background. I am a genuine, friendly person, have lots of experience with meeting new people, and have been told I help make my clients feel comfortable and safe, which is very important when entering into a professional relationship where the client needs to find the courage to trust their therapist or counsellor.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Hypnotherapy & Psychotherapy Training Course, Health Concern Chapel Allerton Hospital Leeds, August 1993
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy - Distinction, British Medical Hypnotherapy Examination Board, February 1994
- Certificate Course in Practice Management, London College of Clinical Hypnosis, June 1994
- Hypnosis Foundation Course, Neuro Hypnotic Programming Research, July 1994
- Humanistic Psychology in Practice, University of Bradford, July 1995
- Clinical Hypnosis for Pain Management, London College of Clinical Hypnosis, September 1995
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy – London College of Clinical Hypnosis, December 1995
- NLP Diploma Master Practitioner Level, Neuro Hypnotic Programming Research, July 1995
- Certified Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming, NLP Associates, November 1997
- Live Therapy Masterclass, The Proudfoot School of Clinical Hypnosis and Psychotherapy, June 2002
- EMDR Training Programme, Part 1, 2 & 3, EMDR Workshops Ltd, May 2006
- Counselling qualifications to Post graduate level., 1995-2006
- Over 24 years experience in private practice
- 8 years experience of working within NHS
- Author of over 175 self-help/self-hypnosis recordings with New Way Productions at www.selfhypnosis.com (to date, April 2017, copies sold: 100,000's to over 65 different countries)
- Exclusive London Harley Street Therapy Practice
- I have also delivered lectures, seminars, workshops and courses to numerous national and international organisations, including the UK Guild of Hypnotist Examiners and the London College of Clinical Hypnosis. I have taught independently in London, various other UK locations and South Africa.
- Commitment to professional supervision, professional and personal development.
- Current Member of the U.K. Guild of Hypnotist Examiners. Past Past Member of British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, British Association of Therapeutic Hypnotists, American Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming, World Federation of Hypnotherapists, and the British Society of Clinical Hypnosis
Areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
- Addictions *
- Anxiety *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome *
- Depression *
- Exam stress
- Fear of flying
- Gastric band hypnotherapy
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Low self-confidence *
- Low self-esteem
- Pain management *
- Panic attacks *
- Phobias *
- Post-traumatic stress disorder *
- Public speaking
- Quit smoking
- Relationship issues
- Sports performance
- Stress *
- Stuttering *
- Tinnitus *
- Weight loss
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies or treatments.
Other areas of hypnotherapy I deal with
Personal enhancement, forward planning, Motivation and Inspiration to change:
- Setting Life Goals
- Life Planning
- Life Coaching
- Decision Making
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Enhancing Your Strengths
- Improving Personal Skills and Techniques
- Interview Confidence
- Public/Social Confidence
- ...and many more. With the tools of Hypnotherapy, NLP, Psychotherapy and Counselling, there are many ways to help someone improve their life. Problems do not have to be a target with this type of therapy. With an experienced practitioner and therapist, you can learn and develop your personality to help you get more out of life. An experienced therapist can help you to grow your strengths and become more independent in your work life, personal life, and social contexts. Please enquire, to discuss your individual needs.
- General Therapy Initial Consultation Fee (60 minutes, £60 per Consultation, payable at or before the appointment.)
- General Therapy Consecutive Consultation Fees (60 minutes, £60 per Consultation, payable at or before the appointment.)
- Therapy is tailored to meet your specific individual needs and requirements.
- Home Consultations, please enquire: email@example.com or phone 07949 140 226.
- Weight Loss & Virtual Gastric Band, please enquire to discuss further, everyone's needs are individual.
- Smoking Cessation, £200 paid at Consultation appointment, in cash. **Please note, before making an appointment for Smoking Cessation, a Pre-Appointment Discussion is required to assess your motivation. This discussion is free. Please phone Barrie on 07949 140 226.
How did I become a multi-modal therapist and counsellor?
I soon learned that if I wanted to get anywhere in life, I had to put in the extra effort to get there. For years I worked very hard and achieved useful skills in many different areas. But the 1980s recession changed my working life completely. I looked at this change as an opportunity to try something new, to push myself out of my comfort zone, take some risks and challenge myself. I chose to see just what I could achieve.
This was an important episode in my life and a huge part to finding out my own strengths and capabilities. You can read more about how therapy changed me and how I work with clients in a recently published book called The Clients Dance, available from Amazon.
I went on to study and learn different psychotherapy models, like EMDR, NLP, clinical hypnotherapy, solution focussed therapy, and counselling. I like to keep the attitude that we never stop learning and developing. We people, if we choose, can learn and grow all the time, pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone to discover more about our capabilities. We can create our own opportunities in life, if we are prepared to put in the hard work to get there.
I qualified to work in private practice in the 1980s and worked both full and part time whilst continuing to develop in other areas of my life. I lectured for a large London based training organisation, delivered talks and lectures to fellow therapists and developed my own practical based therapy (Hypno-sensory Therapy). During this time, I also travelled around the UK and to South Africa facilitating and assisting with workshops and seminars.
In the early 2000s, whilst working in an inner city high school, I developed further as a professional and ethical therapist and counsellor. I developed the first in-school counselling service for young people in Leeds, West Yorkshire. In the background, I continued to work in private practice, going on to develop a practice in Harley Street London, and gaining further experience working for the NHS.
Now, I bring my professional experience as a therapist and counsellor, and, first-hand experience of personal change to help clients recover from difficulties and reach a more comfortable place in their life.
Both my books The Client's Dance and Do it for you are written in a clear, jargon free way and could be useful to fellow therapists/counsellors, clients, or those who take an interest in the area. Both are available via Amazon kindle.
Thanks for taking time to read my profile.
Wishing you well,