Quit smoking with hypnosis
30th December, 20150 Comments
Written by: Theresa Borg BA (hons) DPH, DCH, GQHP, MPLTA
Hypnotherapy in my experience is a fast, easy to access and relatively cheap quit smoking aid.
A hypnosis session is usually completed in one two-hour session, is completely safe and if you choose the right therapist, will allow you to not only leave your session as a non-smoker, but also help you to have an overall confidence and well-being boost.
Some therapists will also offer you a free CD or download to support you at home after the session. Many professionals believe that it is crucial to recognise the gains that smoking currently offers you and to address them one by one, replacing each one with a more healthy, beneficial action or behaviour. Often there will be subconscious programmes running in the mind that can make smoking very difficult to stop. However, by finding and addressing these hidden gains, we can overwrite or replace these negative programmes with hypnosis straight into the subconscious mind.
So why quit?
Health - the benefits of quitting:
- Decreased risk of Cancer, pulmonary and heart problems.
- Feeling great with fresher breath, cleaner teeth and fresher smelling clothes.
- Fewer health risks including an improvement in breathing, circulation and general fitness.
- An improved sense of smell and taste.
Family and friends:
80% of second hand smoke is invisible and odourless, so the danger is unseen. Therefore you may think it doesn’t matter but the truth is that your family and friends will be affected detrimentally by your harmful poisons. This can make them more susceptible to meningitis, cancer, bronchitis and other breathing problems. Young children and babies are particularly susceptible to passive smoking.
If a person smokes 13 cigarettes a day (364 cigarettes a month) they will be ‘burning’ £141 a month (setting a light to seven £20 notes!) or £1,696 a year. Think what you could be doing with that money instead.
How can you make it easier on yourself?
- Prepare for the day you are setting your intention to quit and prepare strategies to avoid temptation.
- Select a week when you know that your life is unlikely to be stressful.
- Arrange a quiet week avoiding the usual places and people that encourage you to smoke (where possible).
- Tell everyone you are now a non-smoker and do not want to be encouraged to smoke or be offered any cigarettes.
- Destroy any cigarettes, lighters or matches before your hypnosis session and prepare a clear large vessel where you can put your money and see how much you are saving.
- Set a financial goal with those savings, like a new car or holiday.
- Continually visualise your success and keep reaffirming the positive reasons why you are doing this.
- Download one of the free quit smoking apps available.
So come on, if you want to make 2016 the happiest, healthiest and best year yet, considercontacting a hypnotherapist to get a headstart and help make this year’s New Year’s resolution a life changing decision for health!
About the author
Theresa Borg BA (Hons) DHP DCH GQHP MPLTA is the director of Positively Joyous Hypnotherapy, Coaching and Meditation based in South East London since 2009. She is a member of The Past Life Therapists Association and Acknowledged Supervisor with the General Hypnotherapy Register.
Hypnotherapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Tara Guthrie-Knight BA(hons), DHP HPD MNCH(Lic)AFSFHMay 16th, 2017