You don’t have to be a professional footballer or an Olympic athlete to succeed in sport. You don’t even need a room full of trophies or make the local news because of your sporting exploits. Successful athletes are people who achieve their own goals they set. If you set yourself a target to complete a half marathon and then go on to achieve that goal, you are successful!
So we explore a number of mental skills that can help achieve the goals you set yourself.
To be successful you need to try to:
- Realise that your attitude towards anything is a choice.
- Choose a positive attitude towards your goals.
- View your sport as an opportunity to compete against yourself.
- Pursue excellence instead of perfection – also realise that coaches, friends, teammates and officials aren’t perfect either.
- Maintain a balance with other aspects of your life.
- Respect everybody you come up against and...